Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Miserére mei, Deus

PSALM 51

51:1 Have mercy on me, God, according to your loving kindness. According to the multitude of your tender mercies, blot out my transgressions.
51:2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity. Cleanse me from my sin.
51:3 For I know my transgressions. My sin is constantly before me.
51:4 Against you, and you only, have I sinned, and done that which is evil in your sight; that you may be proved right when you speak, and justified when you judge.

51:5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity. In sin my mother conceived me.
51:6 Behold, you desire truth in the inward parts. You teach me wisdom in the inmost place.
51:7 Purify me with hyssop, and I will be clean. Wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
51:8 Let me hear joy and gladness that the bones which you have broken may rejoice.

51:9 Hide your face from my sins, and blot out all of my iniquities.
51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a right spirit within me.
51:11 Do not throw me from your presence, and don't take your Holy Spirit from me.
51:12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation. Uphold me with a willing spirit.

51:13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways. Sinners shall be converted to you.
51:14 Deliver me from blood guiltiness, O God, the God of my salvation. My tongue shall sing aloud of your righteousness.
51:15 Lord, open my lips. My mouth shall declare your praise.
51:16 For you do not delight in sacrifice, or else I would give it. You have no pleasure in burnt offering.

51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit. A broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
51:18 Do well in your good pleasure to Zion. Build the walls of Jerusalem.
51:19 Then you will delight in the sacrifices of righteousness, in burnt offerings and in whole burnt offerings. Then they will offer bulls on your altar.